Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Long Road Home ... to Canon City

It was a fond farewell to our dear friends, Danny & Robin Burton at the Durango Riverside RV Resort.  Sadie is once again giving you one of her famous butt shots.  She had seen a bunny rabbit in that area so she was obsessed with finding it again!

This is our last photo together before we headed off in different directions.  I'm wearing my Silverton t-shirt in memory of our trip :)  The Burtons were heading back through Silverton on their way home to Gardnerville, NV to visit a friend in Montrose (north on the 50) and we were heading east on the 160 back to Canon City.  We had to be back at work the next day to work, so we were going to do an "all the way in one day" road trip.
The scenery in the San Juan National Forest was, once again, fantastic and the day was beautiful. 
 
 
We stopped at this nice roadside area to unhook the Jeep for our trip over Wolf Pass.  What a place to stop--Treasure Falls--right off the highway!  The waterfall cascades 105 feet into Falls Creek which connects with the San Juan River.  The San Juan, which begins at  the top of Wolf Creek Pass, flows west all the way to the Gulf of California.  The name Treasure Falls came from Treasure Mountain, which as the legend goes, holds buried gold.  There is a well-maintained dirt trail that backs up the side of a densely-forested hill.  It's about a 1/4 mile trek to the falls with an elevation gain of over 300 feet--about a 30-45 minute round trip, which we did not take since we were on the fast track.  I still got some nice pictures though.
 
 
Further down the road before we got to Wolf Creek Pass, there was more beautiful scenery.  Once we got to Wolf  Creek Pass my picture taking time was over because now I was back in the RV with Gary driving instead of the Jeep going at my own pace and stopping wherever my little heart desired!
I had to stop here to take a picture because following right next to the highway, down the gully, was this cool little creek.  It's the best shot I could get because the availability of turn-outs was limited.  You can see the road I had just traveled to get to this stopping place.  My last picture of our journey home!  From then on it was drive, drive, drive and I drove about one-third of the way so no camera in hand (you don't say!).

Isaiah 44:3-4
For I will pour out water on the thirsty land and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring and My blessing on your descendants; and they will spring up among the grass
Like poplars by streams of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment