Sunday, October 25, 2015

Hands Down!

Our next stop on our way from Montana to Nevada is Kennewick, WA.  The plan was to stop for one night and then boogie back on the road to our next stop, Bend, OR.
 
BUT WAIT ... we did not know that we had just planted ourselves in the middle of Wine Country!!  Not only were we in wine country, BUT we were in the actual area where one of our favorite everyday drinking wines had their winery and wine tasting room ... oh me, oh my ... what's a girl to do?  Well, without further ado--no prodding, no cajoling, no hesitation--we realized that one night in this region would NOT be enough and we really needed to extend our stay at least one more night!  Go figure ... what a surprise ... ha!ha!
 
And, of course, the first winery we visited was--hands down--14 Hands ... one of our favs!
 
But the best thing of all is that you can buy their premium wines that you cannot get in the stores and they were luscious.  Now, you may not know this, but we have two cases of wine sitting in a closet at my sister’s house in Gardnerville.  I also have two cases of wine (+ maybe a few more bottles—wink!wink!) sitting in the RV, so why, oh why did I buy another case of wine at this first winery visit AND sign up for their wine club?  I do not know what came over me … really???  Oh well, that meant our winery purchases everywhere else were limited (it’s true, I did limit myself!!).
For all my friends who I’ve gone wine tasting with, you are not going to believe this, but we visited six (yes, six) wineries in one afternoon!!  They were all fairly close together (don’t you love that rationalization?) and we split all our tastings.
Our second stop on the wine tasting whirlwind tour was Desert Wind. Cool looking southwest décor and ambiance ... and not bad tasting wines.
Mmm Mmm, good ... cabernets, my favorite!
 
 Me with my "limited" Desert Wind stash.
Our third stop on the winery roundabout (there were a number of wine tasting rooms situated on a circular roundabout) was Gamache Vintners ... also not too bad!
By now in our wine tasting tour Gary is asking for food as he's feeling the effects of all the wine sloshing around in his tummy.  So, we head over to Milbrandt Vineyards where we conduct our mighty fine wine tasting along with a nice charcuterie tray filled with cheeses, meats, nuts, dried fruit and olives.  An excellent combination and the perfect meal to compliment our tasting.  Yum! Yum! 
 

From Milbrandt, we walked to tasting stop #5--Airfield Estates.  It was a pretty cool looking building and the wines were not bad either.  We bought only one red there--see I'm restraining myself!
 
Finishing off our roundabout wine tasting tour was Bunnell Family Cellars.  By then we were wined out and Gary was beginning to mentally calculate where in the world we were going to store all this wine.  So, I reluctantly agreed we'd tasted enough, bought enough and could call it a wrap. 

All-in-all, it was a very good day of wine imbibing, food pairing and cash spending.
Cheers!
 

Judges 9:13
But the vine said to them, “Shall I leave my new wine, which cheers God and men, and go to wave over the trees?”

No comments:

Post a Comment