Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I'm Thankful!

From Carson City we drove to Atascadero for Thanksgiving with family.  My brother has hook-ups at his home there so we became the "official" campground hosts Thanksgiving weekend.  I'm fondly referring to this stay as Buzz RV Resort & Spa!  He has a Jacuzzi and Gary took advantage of that every evening to help him sleep better.  I think it worked wonders! 

I've always loved the view from his back deck.  It is very pastoral.  This area in central California is one that includes rolling hills, large spreading oak trees, lots of mule deer (which were in abundance this year most likely because of the water shortage), rows of precisely lined vineyards, and beautiful, scenic views.
The weather was gorgeous--absolutely fantastic!  We drove to the coast to Morro Bay and took a nice walk on the cliffs.  Here's Gary and Sadie enjoying the view and the walk.
 
Here I am with Sadie who is pensively looking over the ocean, enjoying the wind ruffling her furry body.
This is my brother-in-law John and sister Jeanne on the trail.  Gary and I had to head back before we finished the walk because we came to a place where no dogs were allowed.  How crass!  But we still had a great walk and caught up with them as we headed back to the car.
Looking toward the sun, I caught the sun reflecting on the ocean.  It was still daytime, but the sun darkened the shot making it look like dusk.  It was really such a perfect day for a walk.
I really liked this pink piece of ocean kelp.  It was actually the only pink kelp I saw that day.  It was just so pretty against the pristine sand.
Look at how beautiful the day was.  This is looking back towards Morro Bay.  Love the rocks in the water, don't you?

And, of course, the FAMOUS Morro Rock, a 581-foot volcanic plug located just offshore from Morro Bay at the entrance to Morro Bay Harbor.  A causeway connects it with the shore, effectively making it a tied island!  How's that for information?  I never knew that until I looked it up.  When I told Gary what I found he said, "Oh yeah, I've walked out on the causeway before, which is gone at high tide."  How come he knows everything???
The night before Thanksgiving, a group of us went to a local Atascadero bar, Avion & Claw to see my sister-in-law's niece, Nicole, sing.  My brother Michael (on the right, playing bass) joined her little troupe for the evening.  This was actually the first time I've seen my brother perform.  Nicole sings a mix of jazzy blues with a smoky voice and beautiful range.  Although there was no smoking allowed in the bar, her style of singing evoked memories of a smoke-filled bar scene from 40s!  We really enjoyed the opportunity to see her perform.
Here are Gary and me at the bar enjoying a bottle of vino .. and each other!
Friday night after Thanksgiving my brother's band, Tres Mojitos, that plays at a lot of local bars in the Atascadero/Paso Robles area were playing at a local place in Paso, D'Anbino Wine Bar.  They play a lot of 80s dance music and we had a blast dancing the night away.  My brother, Mike, is on the right again, playing bass.  The singer in the group is quite the entertainer, frequently jumping off the stage to wander around the dance floor.  The other thing I really liked about this particular place was many of the people were "more mature" and hit the dance floor as well.  It was an awesome time because no one cared how they looked to anyone else--we simply enjoyed ourselves.
And here's some family really enjoying themselves.  From left to right:  My sister Jeanne, my sister Trisha (mouth wide open!) and my sister-in-law Lori.  When they started playing some Latin music my sister balked at getting out on the dance floor.  I told her, "It's the easiest music to dance to.  All you have to do is shuffle your feet a little and shake your booty!"  She got the hang of it quickly and we danced to all the Latin numbers!  We had such a great time and stayed until the end of the last set!
From Atascadero, on December 1st, we took off from Buzz RV Resort & Spa and headed to 29 Palms in the desert for a little over a month.  
 
My sister-in-law Lori hosted an H2O at Home party for me before Thanksgiving, which was a GREAT BIG SUCCESS (thank you, Lori) and one of her guests booked a party for January 11th.  That means we need to be back in Atascadero so I can put on another party! 
 
From there we are going to Ecuador for three weeks to visit our darling granddaughters and their parents.  We are really looking forward to spending time with them. 
 
Next blog?  Expect Joshua Tree National Park because we are only 4 miles from one of the park entrances!
 
 Psalms 31:3-5
For You are my rock and my fortress; for Your name's sake You will lead me and guide me. You will pull me out of the net which they have secretly laid for me, for You are my strength.  Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have ransomed me, O LORD, God of truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment